Thursday 12 June 2008

Still Waiting.......

I still have not received any communications from the Princess Alexandra Hospital. I did call again yesterday as there were no appointments in the mail. I was originally told by a resident doctor, during my last outpatient's visit, that I would most likely have an admission on 27 May for a needle biopsy of the new mass and that other tests/reviews would occur on the same admission. One of the reviews that was supposed to take place, on that occasion, was an ENT review (which is not a major concern for me at this time). However as mentioned previously, that's been shunted away to some yet to be determined time in the future. Also as mentioned previously, I also called the hospital last week and my enquiry was not responded to either.

I am starting to become concerned. The doctors did say that it appears to be a re-occurrence of Sarcoma going on their observations and examination of a MRI scan. Everything was supposed to be urgent given that liposarcoma is a life threatening illness. Whatever it is, is growing rapidly from the sensation perspective. Life is becoming quite painful and uncomfortable. Even if it is difficult to treat by surgery and radio therapy, there are other possible treatments too. I'll touch on sarcoma treatments in a future post. Likewise I'll post some observations on my history of infection which appears to be pertinent from the symptomatic perspective, as sarcoma has developed concurrently with acute and chronic epididymitis and recurring UTI's in parts of my body affected by these symptoms. (i.e. groin, buttock thigh)

Things are dragging out. It's now eight weeks since I drew attention to the new mass to my GP and six weeks since orthopedics began investigations, and other than an MRI and PET scans nothing else has happened.

I also haven't forgotten the possibility of Hodgkin's Lymphoma due to long term adenopathy. My GP had referred me to a private surgeon to carry out a biopsy for that one. However when I mentioned that to the PAH Orthopedic doctors, they said they would do the whole lot and thus I shelved that referral.

One wonders if I simply have been forgotten. This appeared to occur last year. Orthopedics referred me to oncology, for radiotherapy, when liposarcoma was first detected by biopsy last June. The oncology department re-assured me that orthopedics were monitoring my situation and would advise me of my surgery date accordingly. However when radiotherapy was completed and I had not heard from them they looked up the computer system and there were no appointments or orthopedic monitoring in place. I would have been waiting forever if I had not mentioned it, according to one of the nurses. It's a bit of a concern that there is apparently no monitoring and review system in place by the orthopedics department, other than the outpatients system. Of course they have yet to give me a follow up outpatients appointment either. :( Early next week is the earliest my GP will be available.

Rob

No comments: