Saturday 15 November 2008

Surgery looms

Surgery is now only 3 days away...really two actually. My pre-admission session was on Wednesday. It comprised the usual briefing and check over by a nurse, doctor, pharmacist and anaesthetist.

The anaesthetist was concerned that my ECG was showing as abnormal and had been for quite a few years going on my chart. There also had been inconsistency with chest x-ray reports which report normal left ventricle size and some which correctly report ventricular hypertrophy. I also was told during my admission last year that I had suffered ischemic cardiac damage during that admission. As anaesthetists don't like operating without knowing what's happening inside a person an echocardiogram was hastily organised. As the hospital itself couldn't organise an echocardiogram before surgery next Tuesday I was checked out by a Qld University Research group looking to identify at risk (of a heart attack) patients who are having surgery. The test I was subjected to involved injection of a chemical similar to adrenalin and also atropine to increase heart rate to the point of stress. Laid back Rob's heart was unfortunately rather reluctant to stress out and beat at a fast rate. The target rate was 138 I did reach 136 when I experienced pain and the test was stopped.

I have had a few episodes of pain primarily under the left shoulder blade combined with an unusual sensation in the top left chest. The unusual sensation is similar to mild heart burn with a sensation of pressure. I sometimes experience a painful shoulder and hand. Yesterday's test proved that the pain is real and is cardiac. At the end of the test the heart burn sensation was quite fiery and the left shoulder, left arm pit, side of chest and hand were painful too. Fortunately it did not last long. Hopefully I'll find out how I faired after surgery.

Today saw one of my rare forays to the mainland with my car via the barge. I should do it more often but it's expensive. I've been busy shopping and catching up with housework so I'll be able to cope with the aftermath of surgery.

I hope to blog again before surgery.


cheers


Rob

No comments: