Monday 23 July 2007

Some Clarity

Things are a little bit clearer for me now after the planning session for radio therapy today.

Actually the radio oncology clinic differs from some of the other outpatients and radiology clinics I've attended by actually seeing me at the appointed time.

First I was measured up, positioned & CT scanned so that the radio oncologist can plan map out the radiation doses for different parts of the tumour. I ended up with 5 little tattoos on my leg and pelvic area so that the RT staff know how to position me when I receive treatment.

RT begins in two weeks as I mentioned in an earlier post. I have to decide where I am going to stay or whether to commute daily. It appears that fatigue is usually a problem after a couple of weeks of RT.

I still can't get used to all the glum faces when people find out I have cancer or when doctors become conscious of the size of the tumour. The expression on their faces..... I feel quite ok just now and the few weeks rest have greatly helped.... life goes on and at least for the time being no need to be glum.

Also thanks to the people of have sent me emails or PM'd me on some of the FS forums, for your kind wishes.

regards

Rob

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Rob,

Just wondering how large your tumor is. I am having surgery on Aug 8 for a 6 cm tumor in my thigh. They aren't sure whether its a liposarcoma or a benign mass. My doc thinks its the latter because the x-ray shows calcification. But the radiologists reading the MRI say it is highly suspicious for liposarcoma. I have read alot & if your lungs are clear, you should be in good shape. Good luck with your treatment.

Rob said...

Hi Jane,

Hopefully your tumor is benign. According the radiology referral for the PET scan mine is 15cm. It runs up the thigh and is bulbous at the lower end. Initially it was thought to be benign as it had not grown into the muscle tissue. However a biopsy revealed it to be a liposarcoma. One of the Orthopods told me it was low grade.

I hope all goes well for you.

Rob

smashingidol said...

Hi Rob, was browsing through your site after reading the blog on Barrington. Good luck with your treatment...and most importantly, keep a positive attitude!