Monday 20 October 2008

The Battle Continues

I certainly was correct in using sarcomabattle as the subdomain title of this blog, and last week certainly lived up to the title. I haven't been so persistently ill, physically drained and depressed as I was last week. I've had my share of illness in the past including a period of severe fevered ilnesses earlier this decade, but nothing as persistently oppressive as last week.

It was most likely a consequence of radio therapy. Fatigue, depression, pain and malaise are known possible side effects of radio therapy. Since radio therapy finished at the end of September I've been finding I have much less 'gas in the tank' as I usually have, with intense fatigue arising at some time during the day, occuring anytime from 10:00 AM onwards. Sometimes this manifests itself as intense yawning drowsiness and other times my chest is absolutely heaving and straining with fatigue and I have to drop what I'm doing and lie down to avoid a heart attack. This type of fatigue can occur very suddenly without any warning, which I find very alarming. These affects combine with diabetes and infection which always seems to be around in low grade and at times not so low grade forms. I've also had many diabetic 'hypos' (low glucose) in recent weeks which also strain one's body. I've had to reduce some of my diabteic medication as a result. One cannot forget all the pain either - incessant at times which greatly adds to any fatigue or oppression. I experienced similar fatigue episodes from February to April following a radiation booster for the previous Sarcoma in February.

This particular sarcoma, on my backside, has been painful for many months as I've written in earlier blog posts. Radiation therapy causes inflamation and tissue burning in itself, adding to any pain caused by disease. I had fifteen treatments of radio therapy this time around. After a few days matters became quite painful and I was prescribed Endone which was later upgraded to a combination of Ocycontin and Endone both of which finished last week. Withdrawal effects from this medication could have contributed to last week's events too. Fortunately pain levels have greatly subsided to be at minor annoyance level most of the time with occasional inflammatory flare ups. I take Panamax for the inflammation and have no desire to return to the heavy duty pain killers at this time. Radio therapy treatments were also punctuated by a break due to the effect on my skin. I had two weeks off in September. Hence treatment did not finish until 30 September.

For many years I also have experienced a recurring respiritory infection with identical progression and symptoms, usually when my body is at a low ebb due to other factors, such as other infections, overdoing things, not getting enough rest etc. This also reared its ugly head in the last couple of weeks. I tend to think it is some opportunistic bacterial infection such as psuedomonas due to the similarity of symptoms. I have had a severe psuedomonas infection in the past, which was never treated with the correct antibiotics, as the doctor at that time did not want me to go to hospital. As I've learned since that diabetics are particularly prone to psuedomonas infections and I can recall reading that pseudomonas is the most common cause of pneumonia in diabetics and that pneumonia is the most common cause of death in diabetics (pneumonia was in my father's case). Thus I would say that pseudomonas can be deadly to diabetes sufferers. Very few doctors that I have encountered are aware of this. They should be. I hope to blog further on pseudomonas in a seperate post.... just for interests sake.... (hypochondria or what? LOL).

In previous posts I've made mention of my belief that there is a strong element of infection involved in the development of these sarcomas. I have had continual problems in my right neck and chest and also left kidney for a number of years. Will these be the next spots for a sarcoma to develop? Doctors had been observing elusive lumps, tissue hardness and a fatty growth in the right thigh/groin/crotch/buttock for many years, which appeared be associated with earlier septic UTIs, yet last year couldn't see anything amiss until the latest Sarcoma started growing. The orthopedic oncology surgeon who was in charge of my case could not believe it when the current sarcoma was detected this year. He told me when this occurs it is usually a seperate occurance rather than a spread and it then keeps occuring until the person dies, usually a few years down the track. I tend to think that going on my past medical history the basis of these sarcomas formed and spread many years ago, becoming aggressive in the past two years. Again I hope to write more on these possibilities in a future blog post.

Returning to the battle - Last year I learned a new trick when after 2 months of persistent chest infection matters were climaxed by a winter flu bug and fevers. My temperature reached 39.5° C, and having been caught out in the past with fevers which exceeded 41° C, started to give contemplation to calling the ambulance, given my prior medical history and also the sarcoma. I took two panadol and rather than lie in bed and endure the fever, forced myself to get up out of bed and started to tidy the house and do some vacuuming just in case matters got worse. (I'd hate to end up in hospital and leave an untidy house LOL.) Anyway 1/2 hour later my temperature dropped to 37.2°C and I felt not too bad. The fever and immune system reaction caused by that flu also rid me of the persistent chest infection. Last week given the oppression of my symptoms I realised I would be in trouble if I didn't fight them. Thus on Thursday with only two hours sleep and despite the massive fatigue and occasional fever I spent a few hours working on the yard and general tidy up. I had to pace myself and punctuate with breaks, but we got there in the end. By Saturday I had largely recovered, though I have to be wary of sudden fatigue and still have the persistently runny nose that I've had for a number of weeks.

To survive all this is very much a matter of balance between activity and rest. Make sure one gets the appropriate rest and to force oneself into activity if one senses oneself succumbing to oppressive symptoms, provided one is able to of course. Also I'm finding it important not to spend to much time on any one activity and to consistantly vary activities. I've just about used up my sitting on bum at a computer time for the day and it's still only morning.... a brief rest, then some reading, music and house work..... fun times eh?? LOL.

It was difficult to see a doctor last week given that one has to make an appointment ahead of time and one was too ill to do much travelling. I did have to attend Ortho Oncology outpatients on Friday, but they didn't even ask how I was.... just arranged a scan and an appointment for next Friday. They are veering from their earlier announced plans..... more confusion and frustration.... the medical profession... !!!!. Ever heard the expression like herding cats? .......Yet another future post on my current medical encounters & frustrations.

Of course all this has put a dent in my computer based hobbies such as 3D modeling, though I did manage to squeeze in a bit of work yesterday on the Sopwith Snipe for Flight Simulator X. I had put it aside for a couple of weeks. I've alsdo dropped notions of Fokkers for a few weeks at least LOL. I still hope to be able to release the Snipe prior to surgery though it may not be as complete as I would like.... That depends on the medical plans and how I am likely to end up after surgery. If a quick recovery is likely then I may leave the Snipe and finish it more completely after surgery.

Time for a break and then on with the day....

Cheers

Rob

No comments: